Pregnancy and anxiety, together, can be a difficult combination, but not an impossible one. Whether you’re experiencing mild anxiety or anxiety on a more severe level, there may be steps that you can take to control and even eliminate the problem.
Mild Anxiety And Pregnancy
It’s normal for someone who is pregnant or thinking of becoming pregnant to feel anxious. There’s so much to plan, so many things to buy, doctor visits to fit in to your schedule.You might wonder if you’re even ready to be a parent, if your house is big enough for another family member, whether or not you’ll continue working And then there are the health concerns – every doctor visit (particularly during the first trimester) can be a nail-biting experience, wondering if the baby is healthy, if you’re healthy… It’s enough to make anyone feel anxious.
Mild anxiety can be treated in a wide variety of ways. Here are some useful methods:
- Deep Breathing Exercises: Deep, controlled breathing can very quickly relive feelings of stress and anxiousness.
- Meditation: Meditation is a great way to rid yourself of the general stresses of life. When done on a regular basis, your level of relaxation will increase and you’ll gain more control over your anxiety.
- Acupressure: Acupressure is a technique that involves applying pressure, usually with your fingertips, to specific points on your body. The pressure causes your body to release certain hormones that can instantly relax you and even generate feelings of happiness.
- Exercise: Many people don’t realize it, but exercise is an incredible stress reliever. Regular exercise not only takes your mind off of any worries that you may have, but will also leave you with feelings of good health and overall wellness.
- Mild Natural Sedatives: Natural sedatives come in a variety of forms. The most popular forms are teas and supplements (capsules). Mostly, natural sedatives are made from herbs and other natural ingredients that are known to calm and relax anxiety and nervousness. Natural sedatives are a great method for relieving stress.
Also Read : How to treat children anxiety
Severe Anxiety And Pregnancy
If you currently suffer from severe anxiety or an anxiety disorder and are contemplating pregnancy, you may have one or all of the following concerns:
- Will the added stress of pregnancy increase my anxiety?
- How will I handle panic attacks while I’m pregnant?
- How will hormonal changes associated with pregnancy affect my anxiety?
- Can I continue to take my anxiety medication?
If you do suffer from any form of severe anxiety, than you certainly know that it adds a layer of difficulty to just about every aspect of life. But while it may be difficult, my advice is not to let it control how you live. If you do, it will only grow larger and slowly crowd out everything else in your life. So if you are ready to start a family, than that is absolutely what you should do.
There are, however, a couple things to consider about pregnancy and anxiety. First, if you are currently taking prescription anxiety medication, I would advise you to wean yourself off of it before becoming pregnant. These are extremely powerful and addictive drugs that can potentially deliver nasty side effects. Even though some doctors may allow these drugs to be taken during pregnancy, my feeling is that the risk of harm to your baby is just too high. There have been too many cases throughout the brief history of modern medicine where drugs that were once thought to be safe turned out to be harmful in the long run. I simply would not risk harming your child.
Secondly, since we know that anxiety could intensify the stresses and hormonal changes that accompany pregnancy, why not try to get control of the anxiety first? While modern society tends to immediately run to drugs or therapy for anxiety conditions, there are other, alternative methods available.
Self-help treatment is an alternative method that provides anxiety sufferers with personal psychological tools to use whenever anxious feelings begin. This technique will help you realize where the anxiety is originating, as well as how to cope with and control it. Many people have actually used this technique to completely eliminate anxiety altogether.
Another alternative method is the use of herbal remedies. Herbal remedies can be purchased over-the-counter and used to alleviate anxiety symptoms whenever they occur. There are specific herbal treatments for every type of anxiety. But as a word of caution, you should always consult your doctor before taking any supplements, even natural ones, during pregnancy.
Also read : Relieve Anxiety Without Medication
These are just a couple of the alternative anxiety remedies that are available. There are many, and you may end up trying two or three before you find the one that is best suited for you. The good news is that these treatments are generally inexpensive and safe to use.
So while pregnancy and anxiety may seem intimidating or overwhelming, it is definitely manageable. You just need the right tools and information.
Yes , you can do this!